Saturday, June 1, 2013

Nerissa Irving Talks About Being A Sexy Rasta and Her Natural Magazine



OPC: Where are you originally from? And when did you come to America?

 N: I [was] born in Jamaica and I moved to America…In 1989

 OPC: Where in Jamaica are you from?

 N: Kingston

 OPC: Is your whole family from Jamaica?

 N: Yeah my family is from Jamaica…well if you go back to my great grandmother and my great great grandmother no they are from other parts of the world.

         OPC: When did you decide that you wanted to become a model?

N: I went to a model search when I was really young and got [noticed]. [I was] eight at that time, but my mother and I decided to wait until I became older to look on my own.



       OPC: What companies have you modeled for?

       N: Well I do everything on my own. So [I’m not with a company] at all.

      OPC: Have you ever done anything in the industry besides modeling?

       N: I have a few things that are coming up. So I can’t really say those yet. I haven’t done that much acting, but I’ve done a lot of extra work in California for sitcoms and things like that, but major acting not yet but it’s coming. And then I do videos and things like that. I’m also the model for Jamaican Mango Hair Crème product.

      OPC: Is there a difference between saying locs and dreads? If so you do you prefer a specific name?

        N: Some people say they don’t like dreads or dreadlocks because it has a very social background. So when you say dreads the definition of dreads is like a negative word. So some people don’t like that. I know what it means and I know my hair isn’t negative. So just to please everybody I just say locs. You know we have some very sensitive people out here. People are so serious now days.

      OPC: How did it coming about for you to become the face of Jamaican Mango Lime hair care line?

     N: They found me online. Just like most of my jobs. I have my website up and most of my jobs I get though my site. So they saw me online and I went to their office, did the interview, and got the job.

    OPC: How long have you been working with them?

    N: It’s been almost 3 years.


OPC: On Instagram I notice your whole family has locs? Will you continue the tradition with you daughter?

N: Yeah I’m definitely going to start my daughter with locs. My son I don’t know because boys are different, they don’t go through the same stuff women go through with hair. So I’ll pretty much let him be with an afro and if he wants locs he can have it but I’ll let his dad handle that hair part.

OPC: When did you begin your Kamoy Magazine? Who is the target audience? And where can we find this magazine?

N: I started the magazine at the end of 2010. I’m just trying to cater to people like us, meaning not just natural looking but a natural way of life eating healthy, food everything. Not just sticking to Kim Kardashian is wearing these type of shoes today, this baby was just born or this person is doing this. I’m so tired of that type of magazine. Every magazine has the same thing. I don’t see a magazine on the stands that just cater to natural hair, natural this, great articles and no gossip. Gossip is good but we don’t need it every day all the time. That’s what I’m trying to work on. It’s still a work in progress. I’m going to have a magazine that is not easy. The hardest part is finding people to be on your team. That’s the hardest part you have to have reliable people.

OPC: A lot of people suspect that you are a Rasta women? Is this true?

N: Yes I am. So people think because I take sexy photos I’m not and I’m like so when you do to the beach you go in full cloths? People take this natural thing too far they suspect that because your natural girl you can’t be hot and I’m like get out of here.

OPC: Describe yourself in three words?

 N: Bold, Natural and Drama-Less

OPC: What is your favorite quote you live by?

 N: “Don’t spend years waiting on grass to grow on concrete”


OPC: What do you want your legacy to be?

       N: I want to leave behind a path for young girls; natural girls. Let them know they can be in the industry and [don’t have to] conform. They don’t have to become anything. They can be themselves or they can create their own lane. They don’t have to go in somebody else lane because that’s what I said, I’m not going down that path. I want to go down my own path and make my own destiny. That’s the legacy I want to leave behind. I don’t necessarily want to be known as a millionaire. I just want to be known as someone who said their going to do something and made it happen and they can if they put their mind to it. That’s what I want to be known for.

       OPC: Where do you see yourself in the next five years?

       N: The beauty line Nerissa Nefeteri Organics coming out soon, more calendars. I’m working on selling things now, different products. I’m doing a fitness video, and coming out with a baby book for my daughter.

       OPC: Where do you see yourself in the next five years?

 N: I see more children in my life. I see my products kicking off. I see myself with an empire.


I really enjoyed doing this interview. Nerissa is an absolute sweetheart. We wish her all success in everything she is doing and can’t wait to see more from her.

IMG_7770
And now she is officially an OnPointCeleb! MuaH! :-)
Thank you Nerissa we appreciate your support!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment